[AMRadio] bandplan thoughts

cemilton at aol.com cemilton at aol.com
Fri Dec 14 18:57:49 EST 2007

Well, Pete:

You're a great spokesperson for the ARRL, IMHO.

You make the case I speak of.................  The ARRL will, in
conjunction with their advertisers, promote a mode/band plan schedule
that will alllow the manufacturers to profit nicely. (Insert
here.....more QST ad revenues)  They will allow enough time for
firmware/software adjustments to be made which will allow, in your
words, "regulation by bandwidth probably would be a boom for new
manufacturer production.  I would suspect manufacturers would fully
support it down the road."  Your words are prophetic for the rice box
merchants and fully in line with the suspected ARRL agenda.
Personally, I don't own stock in these rice box
companies............I'm not interested in their profits or
technological gains!   I'm a simple ham who knows how to make a
transmitter and receiver work and who is not afraid to experiment to
improve that process.  I wish to continue in the mode/emission manner
that works well for me and many other hams worldwide.  I don't think
the ARRL leadership is even remotely aware of the operating
pleasure/challenges that many of us encounter daily on the active ham
bands.

So, here's where we fall off the wagon.................. What about all
the hams who are still experimenting, building and operating under the
auspices of their current license permissions?  Who, in the ARRL or
otherwise, feels it is their place to dictate just what and where the
ordinary ham operates?  We, as hams, know this already!  We don't need
to be told or advised of what we already know.

Sure, the ARRL and the rice-box (or similar) manufacturers MUST fall in
line with whatever a spectrum plan includes.  Otherwise, they couldn't
make money and sell rigs.  Why wouldn't they agree with the ARRL?  They
are interested in bottom line profits.............not in Amateur Radio.
 To think otherwise is naive.

And the ARRL?  It's interested in contributions to it's 401-C3 IRS CODE
status....................

Manufacturers can help them maintain this status if THEY can make the
market support their products.  Simple economics here!  Or politics!

Dumbing down everything from no-code testing to proficiency exams that
are nothing more that memory exercises is but one simple way to
"enlarge" the ranks of membership.  However, I suspect this is a failed
mission.............just an extension of the prior agendas the ARRL has
supported. (remember incentive licensing?)

Have you noticed the ARRL is "strongly" promoting Emergency
Communications as the prime reason Amateur radio even exists?
Simply because it has the attention of 9-11 and Katrina.  The "shack on
a belt crowd" is highlighted.  The "real" ham who can build a
transmitter and receiver is ignored.  CW is archaic!  A.M. is simply a
bunch of guys who reject change.  To me, there is something inherently
wrong with this.  The first thing to die in an emergency is bandwidth
provided by cable companies.  I live in Hurricane Alley in
Florida..............I know!

When will it end?   Who knows!   Maybe it won't............. But I
think it's important to quit kissing he ARRl's ass just because they
exist.  I, for one, will make my views known to whomever in the ARRL
structure is necessary  in an effort to stop the madness.

I don't object to the development of new technology.  In fact, I like
it.  But I don't want it shoved down my throat.  And I sense there are
many others out there who feel the same way.

But, in fairness, it's always YMMV.

Put the afterburners in full thrust.........................flame suit
is intact.

Best 73 to all, es Merry Christmas  ( If this greeting is offensive,
simply insert your preferred greeting from me.  I will not take away
from it's meaning to you and my sincerity is the same)

W4MIL

Chuck