[AMRadio] Re: ER Magazine

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 19:00:55 EST 2007

Yeah, there's a bit of a mismatch between having had a
good Elmer, and what it may take to competitively
write about that person.

My "Elmer," and I don't like the term in the first
place, was not necessarily the guy who gave me my
Novice test in 1971, at about this time of year as a
matter of fact.

He was a crusty old retired USN Captain, who had a
CX-7A Signal One transceiver with Nixie tube readout.
Very cool at the time, and quite sophisticated
compared with the KWM-2A that I thought he would
favor.

NO personality, humorless, and very judgmental. I
appreciated that he sold me my first Novice
transmitter, the 32V2 that I still have, but was not
impressed that he wouldn't explain why we were putting
a grid drive control in there to make sure I ran the
75W input.

Nonetheless, Novices had just been freed of crystal
control, and I was on the air, in style, with a
20-year old Collins transmitter.

I can't recall ever having worked him on CW. I was on
m own.

--Paul/VJB