[AMRadio] ER Magazine

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Sat Dec 15 21:46:06 EST 2007

I got my Novice license in 1958 when I was a Freshman in high school. CQ,
QST, Popular Electronics mags and ARRL publications were my guiding light
into amateur radio. Built my Apache (which I still own) in 1959 after I
became a General, but spent most of my early years on VHF because I
became involved with the monthly publication "The VHF Amateur", which was
started by a high school friend who was a Junior in high school and, of
course, a ham. So, although I had no "Elmers", I did get to rub elbows
during those early years with Ed Clegg, Ed Ladd, Amp Fagans, Dr. Allen
Katz, Jack Schenker(Polytronics Labs), Waybe Green and a number of others
as we beat the bushes for advertising dollars, technical articles and
business support.

So, to answer your question, "how far back does one have to go to be in
the 'old days'?" mostly depends on how long you're been licensed and what
sets in your mind as the "good of days".

Pete, wa2cwa