[AMRadio] bandplan thoughts

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 07:06:18 EST 2007

Peter Markavage wrote:
> You said: "Explain to me why CW is no longer a requirement for a Ham Radio license"
>
> This question really should be addressed to

But, it wasn't.  You beat the ARRL drum rather loudly, Pete.  I (and
others) have been saying the same thing about the ARRL and the
YeaCommWood bunch for a while, now.  The manufacturers whine and
complain that they are not selling enough radios.  They strike a deal
with the ARRL (need I remind you, that the FCC consideres the ARRL as
being -the- "voice" of Ham Radio?) and give them 'x' amount of dollars
if they lower the licensing requirements so more people can become hams
and they can (*gasp*) sell more radios.

Pure economics 101, with some back-room lawyering going on.

YeaCommWood tells the ARRL "here, we'll do -this- for you if you'll do
'that' for us", the ARRL slips the bribe in their pocket and then rares
back on it's hind haunches and tells the FCC that Amateur radio needs to
do 'this and that', gets it done, and now Johnny Novice no longer has to
draw a schematic of a transmitter, he can chose from multiple guess
answers, or Johnny Novice no longer has to know CW faster than 5wpm to
use Voice on HF, or (latest) Johnny Novice now no longer has to know CW
at -all- to get a Ham License and it's all done, Pete, in the name of
'selling more radios' so that the 'shack on a belt' crowd can spend
their money on the new YeaCommWood radio that costs as much as an
economy automobile!

A 5 digit price-tag for a SSB transceiver?  For that kind of money, the
damned thing had better grow legs and change the cat's litter box!  ;-)

>  I bet the SSB crowd would love to hear carriers with digital signals riding over them.

I'm all for 2.5kc of deviation and FM as a viable mode on 75m, when
signals warrant and selective fading doesn't totally screw up the signal.

Jim/WD5JKO (of this list) had a problem with RFI in his telephone, and
he switched from Amplitude Modulation to Phase Modulation on his QRO'ed
CE-20A.  I couldn't hear much difference on my receiving end, but his
claim was that there was no longer 'other voices' in his wife's
telephone conversation.

Something to think about.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,