[AMRadio] Transformer Rewind

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 13:44:29 EST 2007

jeremy-ca wrote:
> The input coil is common to all bands in the 75A1, the secondary is
> then fed to the band switch.
>
> Check the antenna coil primary first and then the secondary for
> continuity. Rewinding shouldnt be that hard if the form hasnt been
> destroyed. The hardest part will be removing it from the assembly.

A couple of decades ago, I accidently dumped a few hundred watts of RF
directly into the front-end of an SX-73, on 75m.  The input coil took
the brunt of the damage.

John Mohn/W5MEU(sk) told me to come out there and get some 24ga copper
wire to re-wind that coil.  Very carefully, I removed the phoenelic
board from the turret in which the coil was installed, then ever
so-much-more carefully, removed the coil from the board.  There was a
spot on the coil that -wasn't- burnt, so I was able to count turns, and
re-wind the coil.  Luckily, I was working at Southwest Research
Institute at the time, and was able to utilize a small-wattage iron,
some organic stripper and a magnifying glass to re-solder the connections.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope,

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR