[AMRadio] Mic elements, crystal and other

k0ng at inebraska.com k0ng at inebraska.com
Mon Dec 17 21:31:33 EST 2007

Terry: Re the "Bell Telephone" handset elements...

Most likely, the elements are carbon granule elements and by design could
not be called "Hi Fi", depending upon the ear of the beholder, regardless
of any EQ applied. I have used them in the past with quite good luck on old
military rigs and some ham rigs but certainly would not expect glowing
comments. My favorite was the Western Electric F1 "button". Note that those
elements require battery bias and a fair amount of current is drawn.
Transformer coupling or a grounded grid stage with the element in the
cathode was commonly used. See the ARRL or CQ Mobil Manuals for details.

Good Luck and 73, Charlie, K0NG .