D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed Dec 19 16:08:11 EST 2007

>> I just wish that dumb-sounding term "elmer" would go away for good.
> >
> > Don k4kyv
>> =========================
>> The term is part of our history. Why Kalifornicate our heritage?
>>
>> ROLYNN K7DFW
>
> Hello,
>
> Actually, the term "elmer" is something relatively new, and only recently
> has it come into any kind of common use.   It was first used in a March
> 1971 QST article by Dave Newkirk:

I have been  licensed since 1959, first becoming interested via SWL'ing in
1953.  I was very active in ham radio throughout the 1970's and 80's, but
NEVER heard the term "elmer" until about 1980.  It is at best a
johnny-come-lately part of our history, associated with the brief influx of
new amateurs that occurred as a spin-off of the CB boom that began in the
mid-70's.

What is the earliest verifiable reference anyone can find to the term, such
as use or mention of it in an amateur radio magazine (excluding the Newkirk
article) or a documented speech at a major ham radio event?

Don k4kyv