[AMRadio] Transformer

gkb gkbrown at gwi.net
Thu Feb 1 16:52:05 EST 2007

Rick:
    If you have access to a hypot tester do a test at twice the secondary
voltage plus a thousand. This is a good rule of thumb. With the resistance
measurements your getting, I would sure bet it will fail the hypot test
before it even gets to a couple of hundred volts. One other thing, if you do
bake it, let it cool down slow. This way it will not suck moisture back into
the core and add to the problem.
    This is an old transformer and insulation is just not holding up
anymore. The older magnet wire was covered with varnish or a form of older
formvar and probably just single layered. This insulation was only good for
about 110 C. The new, double insulated magnet wire is good for 155 C and the
triple coated is good for 200 C.
    Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M