[AMRadio] Ah, the Smell of a "Real Radio"

Mike Duke, K5XU k5xu at jam.rr.com
Mon Feb 5 22:36:18 EST 2007

At our Jackson, MS fest this weekend, a longtime friend had several
receivers recently acquired from a local estate.

One of them, an HQ170, was my dream receiver as I was studying for my
license and listening to the bands on a mid 60's model Zenith receiver
beginning at age 11.

I wound up with a 1968 vintage HQ110-A/VHF as my Novice station receiver,
but I've never owned or operated an HQ170.

The 170 didn't sell, and my friend needed some work space to catch up on
some
other projects. So, he sent it home with me with instructions to keep the
capacitors formed for him.

Other than asking where we would put anything else in "your room," my wife
said nothing. So, yesterday afternoon while she was at the grocery store
just after the Super Bowl party shoppers had gone home, I cleared a space
atop an old sewing machine cabinet, and fired it up.

Mind you, my wife has only seen a few boatanchors, in other people's shacks,
and most of them viewed while turned off.

Upon her return I called her in to have a look. From the door, she saw me
standing in front of the HQ170, leaning slightly forward, and breathing
deeply while grinning from ear to ear.

"My Goodness! What's that smell?" she asked.

"Real radios just smell that way," I said. "If they don't, then they aren't
working."

"okay," she said. "It even looks like a real radio."

Life is indeed good!

Mike Duke, K5XU