[AMRadio] 24 vdc coaxial relay

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 01:01:59 EST 2007

SBJohnston at aol.com wrote:
> Anyone have a kilowatt-capable SPDT coaxial relay with UHF connectors and 24
> - 28 vdc coil to spare?  I'm getting ready to interface my new Gates BC1-T
> into the station and need it for a T/R relay.
>
> Over the years I've passed up quite a few 24-volt coaxial relays thinking I
> wouldn't ever need one at that coil voltage, and here I am... sigh.
>
> Thanks...

Steve,

I think that at such a low frequency (160~80m) that if you're looking
for a coaxial relay, you could probably use a larger contactor relay.

Strip the ends of the coax, and secure them to the relay contacts.
There's not enough of an impedance bump, that low in frequency, for it
to matter.

Key it, along with the other relays in the rig.  But don't do like I've
done.. 110vAC on a T/R relay can sometimes get the whole cabinet to
buzzin'.  and it's not because it's AC... once in a while, when I hit
the switch, I happen to catch the AC cycle as it's crossing over... the
result is a little hard on the coil and it buzzes a loud protest, until
it's de-energized and re-energized.

--
73