[AMRadio] Viking II no output

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:56:07 EST 2007

Larry/WD5CFJ and I have the same problem.

The output section in an E. F. Johnson Viking II is only producing about
10w output,, or so.

it's puzzling, because (in my case) there's grid voltage (-57VDC), there
Plate Voltage (~600VDC) there's Screen Voltage (~290) and everything
seems to be there, except there's no output.  The roller inductor still
resonates at the same place, but no matter where the coarse tuning is
for the fixed capacitors, the output level never changes.

The little doorknob capacitor that is tied to the plates of the 6146's,
perhaps?

http://w5omr.shacknet.nu:81/~w5omr/AM-Stuff/vikingII-output.JPG

L9 is the roller inductor.  C29 moves at the same time L9 does.

C31 (.002uf) is the door knob - not checked it, yet.
C30 is the fine tuning for the loading control.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Viking II?

--
73