[AMRadio] Re: MFJ-815B Watt-Meter with AM

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Feb 10 03:02:07 EST 2007

Why not just use a plain old thermocouple rf ammeter?  I have never seen two
"ham radio quality" rf output meters that read anywhere near the same.  I
have an old Mirage, but I use it mostly as a SWR indicator.  It makes a good
relative power output meter, but on some bands it indicates over 90%
efficiency in the final, into a 50-ohm dummy load.  I know the transmitter
couldn't be that efficient, so I take its readings with a grain of salt.  I
trust the reading I get with my rf ammeter.

Don k4kyv