[AMRadio] Current on 6146s

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 07:22:51 EST 2007

Mark W1EOF wrote:
> Isn't 15ma *WAY* too much grid current for a pair of 6146s? In my
> Viking II I used to run about 6-8 if I recall correctly. They can be
> easily destroyed pretty quickly by too much grid current.

Sure it is.  7.5mA is what's required on a pair, according to Johnson,
and the book on the Ranger says -never- run the grid current on a single
6146 in Class C higher than around 3mA.

BTW, Mark - I don't know if I ever thanked you for that plate switch for
the Viking II.   I think I did tell you that I stumbled across one out
there in the junk and slapped it in, and all was right with the world,
again.  I've got this switch you sent in front of me, and I'm gonna
-leave- it in the house (until I need it) so I know where the damn thing
is!

I just hope I can -remember- where it's at, when I need to remember ~sigh~

--
73
-Geoff/W5OMR