[AMRadio] Re:SPAM

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Feb 15 01:11:53 EST 2007

When Floyd unexpectedly went SK, Hoisy W4CJL who was founder of SPAM agreed
to let a guy in California take over.  It took a while to get all the SPAM
paperwork, and there may have been a bank account, from Floyd's estate.  I
heard that Floyd's parents were not totally cooperative.  But eventually the
guy in CA got everything and began running SPAM.

He hit the ground running and for a few months it looked like he was going
be even more actively involved than Floyd.  But he turned out to be a real
flash in the pan.  He abruptly dropped from sight.  No-one was ever able to
contact him to learn what happened.  Ads for SPAM membership continued to
run in CQ magazine for a couple of years.  I don't think anyone ever solved
the mystery.

A few years later, Dale KW1I resurrected AMI (AM International) to take its
place.  Occasionally we still hear from AMI, but I think the internet has
pretty  much replaced SPAM/AMI as a watchdog for threats against AM.  There
is this reflector, plus the AM Forum, as well as sites  like QRZ.com and