[AMRadio] Re: Gates BC1-T operational again

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 15 20:33:07 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From:D. Chester
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: [AMRadio] Re: Gates BC1-T operational again

What I did to make the BC1-T operational on CW would apply to many other
broadcast transmitters.
Don k4kyv

Hey Don,

   This is a great story, and a labor of love. Thanks for sharing this with
the group.

One passing remark I wondered about while reading this essay is whether it
was feasible to stick with the stock 10 Henry choke, and resonate it to 120
hz with a suitable oil type capacitor with a value somewhere around 0.15 uf
@ 5 KV. (10H || with 0.15 uf = ~ 130 Hz resonance). I have limited
experience with this approach, but the one time I tried it, it seemed that
the critical inductance need dropped leaving everything else constant, and
the AC ripple coming out of the filter was far less than a normal choke
input filter. I did not do dynamic load variation tests however, so who
knows..

Great Story Don!

Jim
JKO