[AMRadio] Low modulation

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 02:09:27 EST 2007

Now an end to a long day of work on my Gates BC-1T transmitter.  After
cleaning, painting, and reinstallation of the removed parts, the RF sections had
shaped up nicely, but today I tried modulating the old girl.   No matter what I
did I only got about 10 - 15% modulation as indicated on a scope and heard on a
receiver.

The modulator idle current had fallen right into line at the bias control's
old marks, and applying some audio increased the current on each tube in
proportion.  Turning up the audio into the range I would expect for normal program
input made the modulator 833s glow in the usual amount.   I could even hear the
groan of the power supply as the load increased.  I've had quite a few years
of experience with AM rigs, and it all "felt right".  But very low modulation
on the output...

The plate and screen voltages on the audio driver stages look high thanks to
the solid-state rectifiers, but the bias is right on the money.  The DC
voltage on the grids and plates of the 833 modulators is as expected.  There's quite
a bit of audio on the grids too, but I don't know what to expect there (any
thoughts on what it should be, referenced to ground?).

I started to suspect that the finals weren't getting modulated at all, as I
think the driver modulation could be responsible for the 15% I am getting.
Ohmmeter checks of the modulation transformer windings...

Primary  (2 is CT)
1 - 2  28 ohms
2 - 3  38 ohms

Secondary
4 - 5  64 ohms

I then pulled out the transformer and applied 122 VAC line to the secondary,
and that produced an even 82 volts on each half of the secondary - good.  That
calculates to a voltage ratio of about 1.36:1, which is squared to get the
impedance ratio 1.85:1.  I think that two 833s in push-pull would want about
9000 ohms load at the primary, and the secondary would be the PA's Ep/Ip or 5000
ohms., and that's a ratio of 1.8:1  So the transformer "seems" OK.

What am I missing here??  I'm too close to see it  -grin-

Steve WD8DAS