[AMRadio] Transformers Revised

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Mon Feb 19 10:19:08 EST 2007

Thanks, Geoff.  That may very well be the key to this problem.  The
filament transformer I need is a 100 vac primary (or multi tap as you
suggested) with a 5 vac @ 2.5 amp secondary.  This is out of a GE
BT-20-A  broadcast transmitter and they used a small potted GE
transformer.  I seems they were trying to insure you use their product
for replacement.  There are five filament transformers and all have 100
vac primaries that are wired in parallel through a large rheostat.  So,
to make sure the filament voltage on all tubes is correct you adjust the
rheostat to 100 vac as indicted on the filament voltage meter.  I assume
they were insuring a perfect voltage match for even very low line
voltage...?

The plate transformer I need is a standard frame type with 115 vac
primary and 900-0-900 (1800 total) secondary.  I am guesstimating the
current at around 300 ma.  It's the low voltage supply for the modulator
screens.

Any help will sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick