[AMRadio] Low modulation

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 19 13:47:39 EST 2007

Steve,

   In cases like this I like to pull out my 1000X HV AC compensated probe.
There is a suitable probe on Ebay right now similar to mine:
Ebay, Item number: 320084300029. Mine is good for 15 kv whereas this one is
good for 7 kv.

A probe like this will allow you to use your scope and safely measure DC and
AC up to 7 KV peak. Wouldn't it be nice to probe your RF modulated B+ to
troubleshoot your problem?

Some years back a fellow at an Austin Hamfest had a big box full of these
for sale brand new for $5.00 each!! These came from the trash heap at
National Instruments where there was a lawsuit because some idiot used the
probe to measure a differential signal where both points were at high
voltage. This made the (-) side of his meter HOT, and he got shocked, hurt,
and then the lawyers took over. After I bought one, I reminded him that
those were stolen from National Instruments, and he could go to jail. His
eyes got big and his mouth dropped as I moved on to another table.. I should
have bought more.

Regards,
Jim
JKO