[AMRadio] Big Vertical on 75

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Feb 19 18:19:37 EST 2007

After 25 years, I finally tuned the 127' vertical to 75!  Ever since I first
put it on the air in 1982, I have used it only on 160, as a quarter wave.
Up in the AM Ghetto, the half-wave high dipole seemed to be all I needed,
since DX wasn't really much of a possibility.  I never had any problem
working into Europe with the dipole on CW.

With the expanded phone band and the possibility of working DX on AM, I
decided to see if I could make the vertical work on 75.  I threw together a
simple parallel tuned matching network with a 400 pf bread slicer and an EF
Johnson edgewound coil I found in the junkbox.  To my surprise and  delight,
I was able to get the SWR down to 1:1 on the third try, of moving the point
where the feedline taps on to the coil.  When I ran the transmitter up to
full power on AM, nothing arced over on voice peaks.

My first 75m contact with the vertical was today at mid-afternoon, with
Howard, W3HM.  Can't wait till  tonight to see what kind of signal reports I
get at various locations over the country.

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/