[AMRadio] 100 V filament transformer primary

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Tue Feb 20 16:11:36 EST 2007

Hi John,

I suspected as much as to why they used the 100 volt primaries.  I also
figured they were saving money by using only one meter for all the
filament monitoring.  That's risky business to say the least.  In the
case of the BT-20-A I have it may have been a contributing factor in the
demise of the low voltage supply filament transformer as well as the
plate transformer.  I feel sure a very low filament voltage on a 5R4
would not bode well for the tube or the plate transformer.  However, the
fused circuitry likely protected it to some degree, but over time it may
have been a partial cause.  One never knows for sure...

Thanks for the insight.

Rick/K5IZ