Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Feb 26 13:20:52 EST 2007

 Steve, I'm sure your getting  frustrated.  Hang in there  since the solution is close now. When it is all over and we all look back on it, it needs to make sense.  Now onto the issue as I see it.

I brought up the need for a AC compensated 1000x HV scope probe early in this thread. Nobody until John has mentioned this since. If you have a scope, then I can lend you a suitable probe. Let me know off-list.

You say the 200ma and and 400 ma currents were combined modulator current. Are the tubes sharing the load? One crude way is by color of the tube (shades of orange), or another way is to add a #47 pilot lamp in series with each 833 plate. These will glow normal brightness at 150ma through the bulb, so you should be able to run the modulator up to 300ma, and if balanced, the brightness between the bulbs will be the same. The bulbs won't know they are at HV; they will just drop the B+ 6.3 volts at 150 ma.

You said that you got 200V X 5 across those resistors (RMS). What kind of meter do you use? Watts = E^2/R = 1000^2 /4000 = 250 watts RMS, or 50 watts heat in each resistor. Those resistors should get hot!! If they do not, then the measurement is somehow in error.

 Another option without a HV probe would be to take the 833 filament CT to ground wire, and  interrupt it with a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor. Then look across this with your scope using a 1X probe. This will show the combined cathode current where I (amps) = E/R = E. If the modulation transformer is shot, expect to see the  audio waveform distort badly as you bring up the drive. In fact, the distortion may be mainly on one tube (every other pulse of Class B modulator current). Since this is likely Class B, it would be normal for each tube to only conduct 180 degrees, but more likely a little more than that.

Hope this helps,
Jim
JKO