[AMRadio] New Year's Resolution-Getting Back on AM!

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 15:00:36 EST 2007

W1EOF wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> Do you continue to feed the antenna at the apex, or did you move it?
>
> What do you use for feedline (coax, ladderline, etc)??
>
> Thanks.

Happy New Year, Mark (and all!)

I feed the loop at the apex.  That wasn't always the case.  Since my
-city lot- in a neighborhood where I'm 'covered' with neighbors) is only
60'W x 120'D, there's had to be some 'trickery' involved in getting up
an antenna for any band lower than 40m.

Since my antenna originally started it's life as a resonant inverted V
on 75m, and the tower was located at the front of the house (which is
pretty much centered on the lot) that left more room in the back yard
than in the front.  Eventually, I just centered the inverted V over the
lot in a diagonal fashion (with the ends looking NorthEast and
SouthWest) and then hung the antenna at wherever the tower was, in an
effort to get some part of the antenna up at around the 60' level.

Since I've changed that from coax to 450-ohm ladder line, and closed in
the bottom of the inverted V, the last antenna work I did, was to move
the feed-point to the 60' apex.  Very basicaly, I 'shifted' the wire
around, so the feed-point was at the apex, instead of in the middle of
one of the three legs of the Delta Loop (installed in a near vertical
plane).

It seems to work better than when the feed-point was in the middle of
about a 40 degree slope.

I hope that answers some questions, Mark.

--
73 = Best Regard/*S*/
-Geoff/W5OMR