Coil Construction, was: [AMRadio] Fun with 4D32's...

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Jan 2 11:12:28 EST 2007

Thanks Larry.
How do you keep the spacing of the holes
exact?

Since the handbook says the antenna tuner is good
for 250 watts of AM, I would need to at least double
the size of things, from the #14 at 8 tpi, about
a foot or more long, to ?
#10, or #8, or thin copper tubing?

The coil has two 4 turn links in the center,
by unwinding 1/2 a turn I think, the links are
in series for 160 to 40 I think, and in series
on higher bands, and tuned with a cap.
The outside coil is tapped for various bands
and tuned with 4 caps.
Balance is important, maybe hard to do with
a home brew coil..

I did not study the text, not sure if its supposed to
cover 160 meters, but if I built one, might
as well include 160...

I know I will need to make some sort of coil
form/support to achieve a good balance.

I may try to get about 100 feet of wire fed with home
made open wire line, say #14 separated by an inch or
inch and a half? About 35 feet of open wire line, then
into 2 pieces of coax into the shack and tuner...

Brett
N2DTS