Coil Construction, was: [AMRadio] Fun with 4D32's...


david knepper collinsradio at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 4 16:21:46 EST 2007


Jim, never had a problem with cracking if you use a drill press.

Dave, W3ST
Publisher of the Collins Journal
Secretary to the Collins Radio Association
www.collinsra.com - the CRA Website
Now with PayPal
CRA Nets: 3.805 Mhz every Monday at 8 PM EST
and 14.253 Mhz every Saturday at 12 Noon EST
Collins Chatroom - Daily at 4 PM EST on 14.285  Mhz
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" 
<amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: Coil Construction, was: [AMRadio] Fun with 4D32's...


>I am not sure what polycarbonate is, but use Lexan.  You can drill and cut 
>it with your normal power tools without problems of melting at the drill or 
>cut lines.
>
> If you use the old stuff, you should modify your drill bit by removing the 
> edge of the cutting planes.  In other words, make it dull and drill very 
> slowly or it will crack or melt.
>
> Jim
> W5JO
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Larry Keith" <kq4by at rocketmail.com>
> To: "'Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service'" 
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:08 AM
> Subject: RE: Coil Construction, was: [AMRadio] Fun with 4D32's...
>
>
>> Absolutely!  Any "plastic" will work.  B&W uses both acrylic and
>> polycarbonate..
>>
>> I would add one note.  I have found polycarbonate to be easier to work 
>> with.
>> I get less melting when cutting and drilling it with my "homeowner" power
>> tools..
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Larry
>>
>>
>> W3ST says:
>>
>>
>> Try Home Depot or Lowes as suggested.  Plexiglass is available locally.
>>
>> I repaired some of the HDVL with this stuff.
>>
>>
>> Dave, W3ST
>> Publisher of the Collins Journal
>> Secretary to the Collins Radio Association
>> www.collinsra.com - the CRA Website
>> Now with PayPal
>> CRA Nets: 3.805 Mhz every Monday at 8 PM EST
>> and 14.253 Mhz every Saturday at 12 Noon EST
>> Collins Chatroom - Daily at 4 PM EST on 14.285  Mhz
>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Partner Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
>> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>>
>>
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> AMRadio mailing list
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Partner Website: http://www.amfone.net
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net 




More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 18 Dec 2017.