FW: [AMRadio] bad antenna luck

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Jan 9 07:39:27 EST 2007

David,

   There are days when I cannot make a resistor work, or a light bulb light.
Sounds like you are having a bad antenna day. In times like this I usually
punt and go back to basics. Some ideas:

Use your transmitter, swr meter and a known 50 ohm dummy load. Do you see
1:1 SWR? Answer should be YES. If not find out why.

Use your transmitter, swr meter, coax to coax transmatch, and a known 50 ohm
dummy load. Tune transmatch for minimum SWR. Do you see 1:1 SWR? If not,
then either your transmatch cannot match to 50 ohms load, our your
transmitter is generating considerable 2nd or 3rd harmonics when the
transmatch is tuned to the fundamental frequency only. There have been many
times where I've had a transmitter putting out considerable harmonic energy,
or a spur, where I could not achieve a 1:1 SWR. It wasn't the tuner, or the
antenna. It was my transmitter, and how I had it tuned (loading capacitor
too far un-meshed).

How is your station grounded?

How is your tower grounded?

What is the length of your Feedline?

What type feedline do you use?

Is it one piece?

What band are we talking about? 75, 40, 20m, etc..

What is the angle of your inverted V?

Regards,
Jim
JKO