[AMRadio] Strange 10 Mc. signal

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jan 10 16:36:58 EST 2007

The other day I dialed up WWV on 10 MC and heard a strange
sound, almost like an EPIRB.  Thinking that it might be one
as I live near a lake, I called my neighbor who dialed up
but by the time he turned on his receiver, the signal was
gone.

Just a few moments ago, he called to say he was on WWV and
heard the same signal.  I turned on my receiver and sure
enough it is there.

It is almost masked by WWV, but when there is a fade, or
when the tone is off I hear it.  I cannot determine a
direction from my location.

Wonder is anyone else can hear it?

Jim
W5JO