[AMRadio] Strange 10mc sigs

charles L. mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 08:26:31 EST 2007

Well, commercial and gereral aviation emergency
locators xmit on 121.5, military on 243.0.  This
selection of freqs allows military to hear a 121.5 ELT
if they are close enough.  I don't know what those
sigs are on 10Mc, but I know years ago, the
military(perhaps others) had an emergency TX that was
just off freq of WWV in order to "ride the waves". I'm
sure you all have heard that QRMing signal that seems
strong while the carrier of interest is there, but
then all but disappears when that carrier drops out.
Offsetting a transmitted signal to the side of a
strong carrier is an interesting way to gain a
reliable signal path with a only a little bit of
power.

Charlie in NC