[AMRadio] PC-mount 5-pin tube sockets?

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 16:34:42 EST 2007

k4kyv at charter.net writes:

>I'm pretty sure the board uses conventional 5-pin ceramic tube sockets, the
>kind with the metal mounting ring, mounted on the PC board.

Interesting - I was going by what I saw on the 6BG6 board.  If you get a
chance can you confirm that point?  I have some of those already on hand.  Are
they mounted into a hole from the back of the board, or above it on spacers?

> If I were going to replace the board, instead of etching a new PC
> board, I would use a piece of aluminium sheet cut to the same size, and use
> standoffs and terminal strips for the wiring,

That's a good suggestion.  I am duplicating the existing PC board only
because I have a copy of the original etching layout from Gates/Harris and it seemed
straightforward.  Otherwise I would have done as you suggest.  I don't have a
component side view so there may be a lot of board-flipping and head
scratching till I get it figured out.  Hey - if you do have time to open your rig,
could you take a digital photo of the RF driver board to help me locate
everything?

> After I put my BC1-T on 160, I replaced the bakelite grid coil with a
> piece of air core inductor stock (Airdux or Miniductor) that I happened to
> have on hand.

A good tip - Thanks.  I see that coil, above the oscillator chassis behind
the panel.

>  The 833A final was more stable after I altered the wiring so that all
> components in the driver plate/PA grid circuitry in the rf section were
> grounded to one common point on the chassis, instead of the way Gates did
> it, using the nearest convenient grounding point for each component.

Did you use strap, or just wire?

Thanks, Don.

Steve WD8DAS