[AMRadio] Frequencies

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jan 24 17:51:35 EST 2007

Well Theo I do all I can to avoid interfering with other
communications, but sometimes it is unavoidable.  If the
bands are crowed and I find a hole that is 5 Kc. wide, I
will call or answer someone there.

I remember those SSB vs. AM days very well, having been on
the air since 1955.  But what drives me up the wall are the
guys who modify their SSB transceivers for "wideband audio"
then complain where someone with an AM carrier appears
anywhere within 5 Kc. of them.

Another thing that gets my goat are those who run their
audio so loud with a big amp following.  They create more
troubles than all  AM operators.

Then there are those with no tune amps.  They have no idea
what they have but the convenience of not tuning the
amplifier.  If they have one of them, it is incumbent on
them to be sure their output signal is no more than 2.8
Kc.at 60 db down.  But many of them feed wideband signals
into them causing a lot of trouble for everyone including
SSB operators within 5 Kc.

Given the newer stuff has a notch that will remove the
carrier from their receiver and I am willing to tolerate
their signals if I am 4 Kc removed, I believe they should
too, or narrow their receiver to reduce what they hear.

Jim
W5JO