[AMRadio] Frequencies

Theo Bellamy theo.bellamy at spirittelecom.com
Wed Jan 24 18:20:25 EST 2007

Jim wrote:
> I remember those SSB vs. AM days very well, having been on the air
> since 1955.  But what drives me up the wall are the guys who modify
> their SSB transceivers for "wideband audio" then complain where
> someone with an AM carrier appears anywhere within 5 Kc. of them.
Yes .... they are a special breed, aren't they? But it is another
example of the incompatibility of the modes. Wouldn't you prefer to have
space to operate AM where there were no SSB signals at all?

> Another thing that gets my goat are those who run their audio so loud
> with a big amp following.  They create more troubles than all  AM
> operators.
Fortunately the days of the VoMax speech processors and TR4s with
shorted ALC lines are behind us, but I do understand your concern. Too
many people are not happy to only be 40 db above the noise. They want to
be 50 or 60. But I listen a lot, and the general level of transmit audio
quality on the bands on all modes is improving. The distorted, pinched
up, processed audio that was perfectly accepted fifteen years ago will
get you thrown out of many SSB round tables on 75 meters these days.
> Given the newer stuff has a notch that will remove the carrier from
> their receiver and I am willing to tolerate their signals if I am 4 Kc
> removed, I believe they should too, or narrow their receiver to reduce
> what they hear.
That isn't as easy as it sounds when the AM station down four Kc has
removed anything in the audio section that might limit the response so
it will make the operator sound like Earl Nightengale and his upper
sideband extends up from his carrier frequency about six or eight Kc.

I love to listen to a well adjusted high fidelity AM signal. Sometimes
they fit on busy band. Sometimes they don't. Hopefully with the new
expansion there will be room for all to operate as they choose.

73 - Theo K4MO