[AMRadio] Re: Frequencies

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 14:07:45 EST 2007

My $0.02 - Notching ISN'T an option on radios such as SP-600s and
R-390As.  So when running them for AM reception, (Along with my BC-610
or T-213 for TX), so I'm stuck with the SSB in my ear.

I watch both of my TXs VERY carefully!  I run a monitor scope on the IF
output on both of the TXs to watch foe bandwidth AND over MOD.

The worst I have experienced was a Boy Scout "Jamboree" fired up on AM
QSOs underway around 7290 +/- 5kc.

What a "wonderful" [sic] way to project our hobby on our youthful
prospects to the hobby. [UGH]

Bob - N0DGN

Theo Bellamy wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> I remember those SSB vs. AM days very well, having been on the air
>> since 1955.  But what drives me up the wall are the guys who modify
>> their SSB transceivers for "wideband audio" then complain where
>> someone with an AM carrier appears anywhere within 5 Kc. of them.
> Yes .... they are a special breed, aren't they? But it is another
> example of the incompatibility of the modes. Wouldn't you prefer to
> have space to operate AM where there were no SSB signals at all?
>
>> Another thing that gets my goat are those who run their audio so loud
>> with a big amp following.  They create more troubles than all  AM
>> operators.
> Fortunately the days of the VoMax speech processors and TR4s with
> shorted ALC lines are behind us, but I do understand your concern. Too
> many people are not happy to only be 40 db above the noise. They want
> to be 50 or 60. But I listen a lot, and the general level of transmit
> audio quality on the bands on all modes is improving. The distorted,
> pinched up, processed audio that was perfectly accepted fifteen years
> ago will get you thrown out of many SSB round tables on 75 meters
> these days.
>> Given the newer stuff has a notch that will remove the carrier from
>> their receiver and I am willing to tolerate their signals if I am 4
>> Kc removed, I believe they should too, or narrow their receiver to
>> reduce what they hear.
> That isn't as easy as it sounds when the AM station down four Kc has
> removed anything in the audio section that might limit the response so
> it will make the operator sound like Earl Nightengale and his upper
> sideband extends up from his carrier frequency about six or eight Kc.
>
> I love to listen to a well adjusted high fidelity AM signal. Sometimes
> they fit on busy band. Sometimes they don't. Hopefully with the new
> expansion there will be room for all to operate as they choose.

                            Bob - NØDGN
|          \\"""//    CraftyBob - WitchDoctor     \\"""//          |
|           (@ @)       Bob Bethman - NØDGN        (@ @)           |
+-------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------+
| NØDGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-61ØI w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I,1 '51 Collins R-39ØA |
|  SP-6ØØ/NR Type 159, Heath DX-6Ø, Apache, Mohawk, SX-1Ø1, HT-32A |
+-------.oooO---Oooo.---------------------------.oooO---Oooo.------+
|       (    ) (    )Opinions expressed are that(    ) (    )      |
|        \  (   )  /    of my own and do not     \  (   )  /       |
|         \_ ) ( _/represent those of ANYONE else \_ ) ( _/        |
|     Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8 & Meade ETX-6Ø      |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|            ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG           |