[AMRadio] Balanced Currents

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Thu Jan 25 22:42:46 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Jay Rusgrove wrote:

> You can prove to yourself  that the unbalanced link is not upsetting the balanced feeders by
> verifying the currents in each leg of the open wire line are equal. Then, for kicks, swap the hot
> and ground to the link and measure again. The readings should all be the same if the system is truly
> balanced...which it most likely will be.
>
> Jay W1VD

   MFJ makes a crossed-needle RF Ammeter (MFJ-835) for this purpose, though
its mainly designed for open-wire balanced feedline.

   I have one here, and it seems to work as intended, using a Valiant and
an Ameritron ATR-15 tuner to drive the antenna system. Gives a 'snapshot'
of the currents in both legs of the feeder at once.

   Cheers

John
KB6SCO