[AMRadio] new antenna and matchbox a bust.

Peter Markavage manualman at juno.com
Mon Jan 29 14:43:33 EST 2007

To calculate the impedance of open wire line, you use the formula:
Z(Impedance)= 276 log(2S/D) ohms
where S= center to center distance between the conductors
and D= diameter of conductors

So, what is the impedance of an open wire line that uses to runs of coax
with the outer shields grounded or ungrounded? Since the parallel lines,
and the spacing between them, have some purpose, i.e. to help create the
impedance characteristic for the antenna, it seems to me that the
grounded, and even ungrounded shields, basically isolate each run, and
you might not have really created an effective transmission line or just
some weird transmission line impedance.

Pete, wa2cwa