[AMRadio] new antenna and matchbox a bust.

w4rl at bellsouth.net w4rl at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 29 15:39:21 EST 2007

Brett,

Yep, that length of VN era comm wire is the longest string I've ever raised here, but it fits.
Going to the loop design I know did this:  My Antenna Loading Control capacitor is now fully meshed while tuned to 160, 80,and 40 meters.  I use about all the inductor on 160 though.  On 80 and 40 the inductor uses but a 1/4 of it's range of inductance.  Antenna pattern, well I know something has changed (I know, well duh), It seems to be able to "hear and talk further".  The fully loaded antenna loading capicator speaks for that ie getting more fire into the wire.  My run of the mil off the shelf 1:1 tuner has never burned up, and the 10 feet of 213 coax had not given me any apparent problems.  In fact, I did that design (getting the feedline throught the wall) by the suggestion from an engineer at one of the commerical manufactures of balums, antenna phasing units and such.  They advertise every month in qst.  Told me to specifically use a 1:1 at first attempt.  And if it did not self distruct to stick with it and use the minumum amount of coax between the balum and tuner.

Robert W4RL