[AMRadio] new antenna and matchbox a bust.

Craig C. Heaton wd8kdg at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 29 17:01:33 EST 2007

Brett,

Shielding on the outside of the coax messes up the balance, short
explanation. Ok, back to the original message, 50 feet on each side of a
dipole is more than likely too short on 80 meters, Johnson matchboxes don't
have the range.

I mentioned a loop because it works on small city lots. My back yard has a
12.5KV power line along the back border with the neighbor. On side of the
back yard, there is my service entrance for electricity and the neighbors
phone and cable. The other side of the yard is my phone and cable entrance.
Surrounded on all sides by wire, loop works if you are short on space and
can be fed with plane coax or open wire. Use the 450 ohm insulated stuff if
you want protection from touching and like open wire.

Craig,

Seems like it would be, why is it not balanced?
I only use the center conductor of each coax, one for
each leg of the open wire line.
I tried it with the shields grounded and ungrounded,
with no difference.

I never tried a loop antenna, I would wonder what
sort of pattern one would have.
What about a triangle?

No matter what shape I would try, getting the feedline
close to the house entry point would likely be impossible
given what I have to work with as supports.

I also have to stay away from phone lines, power lines
out at the street. The current antenna is at right angles
to the house and lines. That helps with the tvi stuff I think.

Brett
N2DTS