[AMRadio] new antenna and matchbox a bust.

EdwMullin at aol.com EdwMullin at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 21:30:34 EST 2007

Quote: Brett, N2DTS
"Well, I only have about 95 feet between the trees max.
If I was to  dangle ends, I would have to shorten the antenna
out past the branches, say 7  feet each side, then do
the dangle, which really would not work.
To much  dangle..."

First, Nice QSO Sunday night.

Second,  my antenna is a full 80m dipole supported at 75ft by two  pinetrees
that are <50ft apart, that means that there is a LOT of Dangle  there(around
35 ft or so I think). I just pulled the support lines over the  trees, and the
ends of the dipole actually drape over the top and down the back  of each
tree. Its insulated #12AWG stranded wire, fed with cheap brown  300 ohm twin lead,
that drops down to a choke balun inside the attic (15  turns at 4.5 inch
diameter).  This is definitely NOT an optimal  setup.  BUT I do get out, and I've
been heard as pretty far off on AM, and  work the North East with No Problems.
(I run a Valiant at about 120watts  output).  I can load it up on any band
except 160, using my el-cheapo  MFJunk tuner. (160 causes quite a light show)...
 The biggest problem I  have with it is that the pines are always dropping
branches after storms and  sometimes they pull down the antenna or part of it
with them.

SO if there is a significant vertical portion to your dipole, don't sweat
it.  It will just add some vertical polarization, and change the pattern,  but
using trees will skew that anyway.