[AMRadio] Re: new antenna and matchbox a bust.

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:05:24 EST 2007

Craig C. Heaton wrote:
> I give in: if the parts n' pieces raise the contacts you wish to QSO with so
> be it. Sort of like trying to get some where, different routes all work. You
> can travel east far enough to get back within two feet of where you started.
> Easier just to do a 180 and take a step.
>
> Why bother with playing with coax, switching to open wire, etc. Open wire
> all the way is an easy balance situation, no muss, no fuss, and even a
> johnson matchbox with limited range will work, given there is a real antenna
> connected to the open wire.

I don't think you're understanding what Brett is doing, Craig...

the two coax runs have the center conductors attached to the balun
output of the tuner.  The shields are tied together (and I ass/u/me
grounded).  The run extends from the output of the tuner to the antenna,
where each side of the 100' overall length dipole is connected to each
of the two center conductors on the twin-coax run.

So.... what's not balanced about it?

--
73
-Geoff/W5OMR