[AMRadio] Re: new antenna and matchbox a bust.

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 23:11:13 EST 2007

Craig C. Heaton wrote:
> As I look at my station, the shields of the few feet of coax that I use to
> connect receiver, transmitter, dow-key, etc they are tied together too! All
> connect to SO-239's, to each other, and the radios chassis are grounded.Still unbalanced.

Well, sure.  I don't -think- Brett's coax shields are connected to
-ground-... just to each other.

> But, yes it can be used
> in different ways, you could use it to wire all the 120VAC receptacles in
> your house too.

I've seen RG-58 with PL-259's used as center-button mic connectors.
Just cut the center pin down some...

> Yes, I can see what Brett is trying to do. But why that way.

Maybe it's because that's the way -he- wanted to do it, at -his-
station?  *shrug* I dunno...

> Not sure why just 100 feet of wire trying to get on 80 meters.
> Not impossible, just not as efficient as a full size antenna.

That's all the room he had.  I can relate.

A while back, Craig, I was messaging with Brett, and took the
opportunity to look him on on qrz.com, then loaded up Google Earth, and
looked at his lot.  He's got trees, neighbors, is on a corner lot, but
it's not a big lot.... several other limiting stipulations are involved...

> That's why the suggestion to try a loop. My small city lot will not hold a full size 80
> meter dipole either, tried loading coils but they just arc under any power.

I've said the same thing.  If you've got room for an inverted vee,
you've got room for a Delta Loop, and that's what I'm running on a 120'
x 60' city lot.  Lucky me, the tower was installed in 1981 (thanks Dad)
and therefore 'grandfathered' for any antenna height restrictions.  No
Neighborhood Association idiots around here, either.

I gotta say though... my 450 ohm ladder line runs from the back of my
tuner to the loop.

--
73
-Geoff/W5OMR