[AMRadio] Re: new antenna and matchbox a bust.

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed Jan 31 22:01:37 EST 2007

Brett:

There have been several suggestions about putting up the
loop and, in some situations, are correct.  If done right it
is a good antenna for the situation you have.  Put the
entire loop as high as you can, meaning if you have the
space, put it vertical, if not put it horizontal, but high,
it won't matter much for operation.

The one thing about them is they are much quieter for
receive than a dipole or vertical.  But for  transmitting
they are like a dipole.  The higher you can get it, the
better it will match and work out distances.

Geoff's does a good job into my location considering the
installation he has.  Another station down here that used
one on 160 also had very good luck both transmitting and
receiving.  In each case they had at least one point of the
loop up high (meaning about 50 ft.or more) and the other
points over 25 ft.

As you are discovering, antennas are the last black art.
You calculate your installation, install the calculated
antenna, then set about making it work for you.

If your loop is low, you are going to get good reports for
short distances.  If it is high you will receive good
reports for long distances.

Right now with the sunspot cycle and quite conditions, you
will receive good reports with almost anything.  Do not
expect anything you install to perform in this fashion in 5
years.  Signal reports are just subjective, depending on
band conditions, local noise and your installation.

I believe the space you have is suggestive of a properly
installed loop for it will be easier to match if you follow
the formula given before by someone.

Good luck and hope to work you sometime in the future.

Jim
W5JO