[AMRadio] T-368 controversy

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:10:53 EDT 2007

On 7/3/07, A.R.S. -  WA5AM <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> > Absolutely, Brian, but "consider the odds in this case" depends on what
> > you're betting on. Getting "ripped off" versus "a big let down" has
> > different lasting consequences.
> >

> Pete,
>
> Your point is well taken, and you have, in my opinion always been a
> fair man, so don't take any of this with any offence, as I don't mean
> it that way at all.

Brian -

I met Pete for the first time at Dayton and can tell you that he
really is a good guy, excellent sense of humor, friendly, even
reasonable! Certainly someone you'd want at your next BBQ or backyard
party.

And yes - it's always good to hear both sides. Reminds me of the old
saying about three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the
truth, somewhere between.

This case appears to have the hallmarks of trouble, though. This guy
asked for info about the same transmitter on AMfone a while back,
maybe value and so on. He offered it for sale at a high price, no
takers. when the pictures showed up on ebay, it was easy to see why.

If it truly was damaged somehow, I'd think the response to the buyer
would have instead been "look, I broke it. Here are pics of the
damage, if you're still interested I'll knock another $100 [or
whatever] off the price". After all, he supposedly wants to sell the
item not keep it, and a damaged item is worth less and generally more
difficult to peddle for big bucks.

Based on the AMfone angle, followed by the Ebay angle, followed by the
failure to complete the deal, it doesn't look good. It appears more
like the guy has it in his head the so-and-so got $2000 for his T-368,
he need to get that much or more, regardless of condition. Money vs
honesty/reality.

Yes, it would be great to here the seller's explanation. Let's hope it
is forthcoming. If he can find all the venues to sell an item, it
shouldn't be rocket science to clear the matter up.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ