[AMRadio] Re: WTB: AM IRON in the North Carolina area

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:40:54 EDT 2007

ne1s wrote:
> Geoff/W5OMR writes:
> -SNIP-
>>
>> Grab a good ol' Johnson Viking II.  They're floating around pretty
>> much everywhere, mostly with VFO.
>> A pair of 6146's, modulated by a pair of 807's... sits on the
>> desktop, but it and a receiver will eat up most of the desktop.
>> They're sometimes referred to as 'gray anvils' ;-)
>>
>> The most solid 100w high-level plate modulated rig, in my opinion.
>> --
>> 73 = Best Regards,
>> -Geoff/W5OMR
>> (owner of 2 Viking II's.)
> Also, the Viking I is just as solid - same rig except has 4D32 final
> and no clamp tube, and cabinet is easier to deal with, it being a
> standard 19" "rack" type.
> -Larry/NE1S
> (owner of 2 Viking Is)

Maybe it's just personal opinion, but I've seen a couple of Viking I's,
and I don't know that I'd ever mount one of those in an open-rack, as
opposed to it's standard rack cabinet.  The front panel, to me, seems
rather 'flimsey' to support the weight of the power supply transformers
and chokes, as far back as they are.  The bottom (*I* think) needs to be
supported, if it's to be rack-mounted in an open rack.

--
73 de W5OMR