[AMRadio] Re: WTB: AM IRON in the North Carolina area

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Thu Jul 12 13:13:07 EDT 2007

Geoff/W5OMR writes:
> Maybe it's just personal opinion, but I've seen a couple of Viking I's,
> and I don't know that I'd ever mount one of those in an open-rack, as
> opposed to it's standard rack cabinet.  The front panel, to me, seems
> rather 'flimsey' to support the weight of the power supply transformers
> and chokes, as far back as they are.  The bottom (*I* think) needs to be
> supported, if it's to be rack-mounted in an open rack.

Agreed - If you were to try to suspend the thing in a rack (as opposed to
the standard cabinet where it's supported on the bottom) you would -at
least- need to add side supports. Not just personal opinion, it's a fact
(Jack!). Myself, I do prefer the rack-style cabinet a bit to the
"integrated" style cabinet of the Viking II, for aesthetics and also in
terms of gaining access to those parts of the radio directly behind the
panel. But I think the Viking II style is better ventilated.

Both great radios, though.

 -Larry/NE1S