[AMRadio] Re: Boatanchor in Salem

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 10:50:43 EDT 2007

Craig C. Heaton wrote:
> Well fellows,
>
> The pic on QTH, fronts not bad and I'm a sucker for black wrinkle paint/rack-n-panel stuff.

I just looked at the pictures for the first time.  Someone said it was
'filthy and dirty' - not from what *I* can tell...
http://swap.qth.com/segamida/608165.jpg

> Although the advertised 750 watts might be stretching things a little.

ya think?  ;-)

> Good iron will make this a 24/7 500 watt rig. Minus;  no exciter, gotta add
> maybe a Johnson Ranger.

I'd think something a little more "modern", like some rice-box and a
pair of T/R relays to go from TX to RX on the rice-box with better
sensitivity/selectivity (if you have one) and 10w on most little rigs is
plenty conservative enough, plus the added benefit of a digital read-out
VFO...

> So here it is a full legal limit 1500 PEP output boatanchor, keep the fingers crossed the iron is gud. Just add elbow grease.

*IF* it's -that- dirty.  Heck, some of the stuff I operate in my shack,
don't look as clean as the front of this rig, and I'm told it works
-well-  ;)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR