[AMRadio] Boatanchor Transmitter FS in Salem, OR

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jul 23 09:35:12 EDT 2007

Over the past several years I have noticed that most
converts to Amateur Radio are older rather than younger.
However, at hamfests I see a smattering of young people.

At the Oklahoma City Hamfest this weekend I saw about 5
teenagers and 4 or 5 young married couples.  I asked two of
the couples how long they had a license, and two of them
didn't.  They were planning to get one and they were just
window shopping.  The larger growth of licenses is coming
from people near or after retirement.  It is a great hobby
for those who have retired and don't want to spend 40% of
their income on gasoline.  What other hobby allows a person
to talk to a friend on a regular basis, or exchange views
with others located elsewhere for free with no ongoing
monthly fee?

Granted they may never convert to AM, but one never knows.
They probably won't pay premium price for a piece of gear
because they won't have the nostalgia factor attached to a
75A4, but they will pick up AM if they like either it or the
people involved.  At the VE session 9 people tested and half
of them were under 40 including two young females, the
balance was over 60.  I would say they will stay with ham
radio if they find a niche to pursue.

Keep in mind that only about 20% of the current licensees
operate regularly.  If all did, you wouldn't find a clear
spot on any band.  It is a great hobby and the only endeavor
that I like the people with whom I don't agree and would
help if necessary.  Recently I have sent spare parts to a
couple of guys who are under 50 that are restoring old
radios.  Maybe Amateur Radio will survive despite the
efforts we old folks expend to bring about its demise.

Jim/W5JO