[AMRadio] Average OP Age was BA Tr FS

DOXEMF at aol.com DOXEMF at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 11:07:32 EDT 2007

Brett,
  I'm 56, have enough parts to build the fine AM rig that was my dream as a kid but now am rapidly loosing the physical ability to handle the heavy stuff.
 May actually have to give up on boat anchors and build a Class E rig simply because of the weight and efficiency.
 Could get on the air now if I could put the VKII on the bench and replace/repair the roller ind. but can't even think of picking it up to get home from storage let alone dissasembling it.
  Also with the cost of electricity rising Ham Radio BA style is not a Free service for those with limited budget.
 I love glowing tubes but the operating cost is getting tough. No longer use a tube stereo system for that reason.
  The young guys with little to no Vac tube know how are tough to break into the BA side of things. It's near impossible to find a modern bench or handheld meter that can be used for 1KV + voltages even.
No shortage of meters here but who even can calculate the shunt or series resistor for an analog meter nowdays.
  From some of the questions I see posted by newbys on several Ham forums I have to wonder how they ever passed the test.

It's the 40 somethings and older who seem to still be capable of HB work, thats for sure.

73,
Bill,
KB3DKS/1