[AMRadio] Boatanchor Transmitter FS in Salem, OR

Robert Nickels W9RAN at oneradio.net
Mon Jul 23 11:56:20 EDT 2007

I guess at 55 I'm about average age for this stuff.  One thing I've
noticed in other "vintage hobbies" is that the ones that seem to thrive
have a "feeder system" for brining new blood into the hobby.  I see this
with the large local antique engine club, for example, where their
annual show (this weekend) is very family-oriented.  Same for the
hot-rod and collector car groups, antique malls, etc.   I'm no better at
predicting the future than anyone else, but it seems logical that the
best way to prolong this aspect of ham radio is to find ways to
encourage newcomers and younger hams to get involved.

Seems to me these folks are more likely to be intrigued by a massive,
glowing tube radio than by a handie-talkie that's twice the size of
their cellphone and doesn't even have a camera or play MP3s!

73, Bob W9RAN