[AMRadio] Re: Boatanchor Transmitter FS in Salem, OR

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Mon Jul 23 12:55:45 EDT 2007

Geoff/W5OMR writes:

> Gotta hand it to Jon/AD5HR... he's only been  a ham for about 6 yeas...
> and he's building rigs.  He's talking on a homebrew rig, running a pair of
> 807's modulated by a home-brewed modulator, running a pair of 807's, and
> the modulator is driven by his homebrew speech-amp.  That rig, while
> desktop. probably weighs in at around 1.5 lbs per watt ;-)

Sounds like Jon knows how to have fun! My bet is the hobby will hold his
interest a lot longer than for the kilobuck ricebox or shack-on-a-belt
types.

I made my first contact as a Johnny Novice back in '83 with a transmitter I
built myself - a 6AU6 driving a 6146 (OK, so I used a Knight VFO with it).
Been hamming non-stop ever since, can't ever see giving it a rest.

 -Larry/NE1S
...who is 50, but was much younger 25 years ago!