[AMRadio] Re: Boatanchor Transmitter FS in Salem, OR

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:15:33 EDT 2007

ne1s wrote:
> Geoff/W5OMR writes:
>> Gotta hand it to Jon/AD5HR... he's only been  a ham for about 6
>> yeas... and he's building rigs.  He's talking on a homebrew rig,
>> running a pair of 807's modulated by a home-brewed modulator, running
>> a pair of 807's, and the modulator is driven by his homebrew
>> speech-amp.  That rig, while desktop. probably weighs in at around
>> 1.5 lbs per watt ;-)
>
> Sounds like Jon knows how to have fun! My bet is the hobby will hold
> his interest a lot longer than for the kilobuck ricebox or
> shack-on-a-belt types.

Well, to be fair, he's got a rice box, and had been on AM with us in the
mornings with it, and an amp, running around 100 ~150w...  but the
difference in audio between the ricebox and the homebrew stuff is
indescribable.  (MUCH better on the HB stuff)

> I made my first contact as a Johnny Novice back in '83 with a
> transmitter I built myself - a 6AU6 driving a 6146 (OK, so I used a
> Knight VFO with it).

First contacts, as a novice, was with an old NCX-3 as the transmitter,
and a Heathkit Commanche receiver, because the National didn't have an
Offest for CW.  You were Zerobeat with the station you were listening to.

> Been hamming non-stop ever since, can't ever see giving it a rest.
> -Larry/NE1S
> ...who is 50, but was much younger 25 years ago!

I checked on the FCC database, and my license expires in 2009.  When I
renew, I'll have 25 years in, as a licensed amateur radio operator.
However, I was raised up around, and cut my teeth on a BC-610, a DX-100,
SX-28, RME, a home-brewed 4-250 rig and got to hang around some pretty
interesting fellows, like W5ZED, K5HSX, K5OCW, W5HQJ (when he lived in
San Antonio) and other homebrewers that are far too numerous to
mention.  I just wish I would have absorbed more info than just rig
names from back when.

How many of you guys holler at the XYL to "COME GET THIS KID AWAY FROM
ME!  I'M TRYING TO WORK!"?

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR