[AMRadio] RE: Average Age etc..

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:36:50 EDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Peter Markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> Central Electronics 100V and 200V (50's stuff) transmitters had no
> transmitter tuning on the front panel. Once you aligned them properly,
> there was no dip the dipper or peak the peaker or adjust the grid or
> diddle with the buffer, etc.

Yes indeed, broadband tuning with what CE referred to as 'set and
forget' controls under the little front doors. Interesting rigs, a bit
ahead of their time for sure. And very well made.

Geez, I'm a pup compared to most of you guys I guess. Just coming up
on 25 years licensed. Followed a similar route and progression that
others have mentioned: CW, SSB DX, AM. I still enjoy all three,
although chasing DX is a bit of a bore with the 'big ego/big guns'
stepping on everyone, DX cluster and all the rest. I enjoyed stumbling
across stations while cruising the band, never cared for the
competitive/rude aspect.

But with radio time at a premium, AM gets my full attention. The other
stuff is fine, but AM is the most enjoyable for me.

John 'AWM - you just turned 70? Congrats, OM. When I saw you at
Dayton, I would've guessed late 50s/early 60s. I hope I age as
gracefully!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ