[AMRadio] RE: Average Age etc..

Geoff/W5OMR ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:58:07 EDT 2007

Rick Brashear wrote:
> Yep!  You're right, Ron.  I know there was at least one schematic that had
> to be drawn and you certainly had to have a working knowledge of current
> flow and basic circuit design.  I guess there were more questions then
> relating to the type of equipment we used in those days.  When I got my
> General there was no such thing as a "no tune" transmitter or amplifier.
> You had to know when, how and why to dip!

Because When Inductive Reactance (X(l)) equals Capacitive Reactance
(X(c)) you get Resonance!  At least in triodes.  Pentodes need some
extra work, due to screen voltages/current.  That brings up a
question... (and I'm asking because I just don't know pentodes/tetrodes)
should the screen circuit be resonant at the operating frequency, as well?

> I guess progress has moved the test beyond the need for such knowledge, but I can't help but believe it was
> a good thing to know then and would be a good thing to know now.

If you're a home brewer, or old-radio restorer, it is (in my opinion)
something you -must- know!

--
73